This post includes 3 parts: duties list, job qualification and job description writing tips for Medical coding specialist in details. A complete job description concludes Medical coding specialist key duties/responsibilities, Medical coding specialist job qualifications (knowledge, education, skills, abilities, experience…KSA model) and other ones such as daily tasks, key activities, key/core competencies, job functions/purpose…
I. List of Medical coding specialist duties:
1. Work with appropriate medical staff and other coders when performing coding functions.
2. Performs standard clinic coding and some charge entry.
3. Work with Business Office staff in developing efficient coding processes by reviewing incoming EOB's or denials.
4. Maintain a working knowledge of common coding and documentation practices and requirements to the physician clinic practices.
5. Corrects any problems with encounter forms before charges are submitted.
6. Respond to customer concerns through coding reviews requested by other departments.
7. Liason to the clinics for coding issues and concerns.
8. Reserach and process missing physician charges.
9. Keep updated on applicable regulations, laws and procedures.
10. Other duties as assigned.
II. List of Medical coding specialist qualifications
1. High School graduate or equivalent experience
2. One to two years coding experience in a medical practice setting, billing office, consulting firm or other related organizations.
3. Familiarity and experience with ICD-9, CPT and HCPC codes.
4. Working knowledge of medical practice and medical terminology.
5. Maintain patient confidentiality
6. Ability to operate a computer, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
7. Ability to interact and effectivly communicate verbally and in writting with coworkers, physicians, patients and patient's families.
8. Required to work weekends, holidays and reasonable amounts over overtime when necessary.
III. Tips to write job description
1. Too-long job description:
Looking at a too-long job description can frighten the candidates off and drive the away. A job description, no matter how important the job is, should not be included in more than 3 pages. If one focuses on too many things at a time, he shall definitely lose focus on the main items and get overwhelmed by the remaining; So, keep it concisely.
2. Too-short job description:
While too-long can be a problem, too-short is more a problem. It will ruin the meaning of the job description. A too-short one means it lacks necessary details and therefore, the candidate will not be able to understand while reading it.
3. Listing unnecessary functions or job duties:
Just classifying these into the “others” category will save you a lot of effort and space. On the other hand, the job description will become more dilute and easy to be neglected.
4. Key functions
Not listing key functions as required for the job can be a fatal mistake to a job description.
5. Grammar and spelling
Poor grammar and having spelling errors can ruin the job description, too. Never think that as you are the employer, you may have the right to make grammar or spelling errors while requires other not to. A job description with such errors is easily to be mistaken as a fake or ghost ads; as a result, the candidate will turn away from it.
6. Not specific enough:
Be specific and concise; if you don’t address the specific, then what the job description is for. It is for the candidate to understand just exactly what he needs to do or needs to have. Lacking details can confuse the candidates very well.
7. Not having the job description reviewed by others:
This is also a common mistake. One may be subject to bias, but more than one, especially with the help of those external advisor, the job description can be more perfect.
8. Using buzzwords or abbreviations:
In fact, it is not necessary at all to use such in a job description.
9. Using slang or legal words:
Just use common wording to communicate with others and don’t do anything extraordinarily.
10. Not updating the job description:
The same job may require different duties and responsibilities in different times, so, you cannot use the same job description for 2 different times.